Thursday, May 15, 2008

Help My Dream Become A Reality

I receive email almost daily asking me if I have a child or lost a child to a brain tumor. The answer is no to both questions. Here's my story....

In 2003, I attended an organizational meeting for a Ride For Kids® (RFK) event that was in the planning stages for our area. I immediately jumped onboard with both feet. I have been a volunteer and fund-raiser for the Ride For Kids® / Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation since that day. I was even offered a part time job with the foundation, which I took and loved for 3 years. As of this past September, I no longer work for them.

I am so grateful to have had the opportunity travel to many states and meet so many wonderful families. I can't put into words what the children mean to me. I love each and everyone of you and will miss seeing you more than you know. You will always be in my heart.

To say the least, I was devastated at loosing my job, but at the encouragement of friends, I decided to check into forming my own foundation, so Brown Bag For A Cure was born. No, we are not an official foundation yet, so for 2008 we a raising money for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. Your online donation goes directly to them and checks are made out to them.

Now a whole new world has opened up to me. I have met so many more wonderful families right here on the internet, through carepages, caringbridge, facebook, myspace, blogging, etc. I treasure each one of you and your story. My heart breaks at times and I celebrate your victories.

What is Brown Bag For A Cure? It is a simple concept that came to me in the middle of the night. I know times are hard for many and there are so many worthy charities, so I wanted to create something that everyone could participate in.

My dream is to find 5000 caring individuals who will skip one fast food meal and donate that money to my mission....

5000 x $5.00 = $25,000 for pediatric brain tumor research.

If you can spare $5.00, please help a cause that was born and lives here on the internet. I take no money from your donations.

Brown Bag For A Cure lives in the hearts of the caring people that make this internet community what it is. Whether you are a mom, dad, brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, cousin, neighbor, friend, or just someone who wants to give HOPE to the thousands of children who live each day praying for a medical miracle, please make just a $5.00 donation. Maybe you would like to skip lunch in memory of a child you know, who lost their battle.

My motto is...TEAM...Together Each Accomplishes More!

Please join our TEAM...No we're not doctors...Yes, your donation funds doctors...The clock tics and children die. Every minute and every dollar counts.

A child you will probably never meet may be alive, not just days, but years from now, because you cared enough to brown bag your lunch and donate what you would have spent.

Research is the only way we will ever be able to save our children from this monster called a brain tumor. The Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation funds more pediatric brain tumor research than any other organization, other than the federal government.

Once you have attended a Ride For Kids® event, you will be hooked too!

Checks should be made out to the: Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation

Please mail your tax-deductible donation today:

Brown Bag For A Cure/Team Straughn
9282 Monongahela Trail
Ashland, VA 23005




No comments: